• ½ pound organic boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1¼-inch pieces
• ¼ teaspoon sea salt
• ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 4 cloves of garlic, minced
• 2 teaspoons dried oregano
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 2 cups cooked black beans or two 15-ounce cans of black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
• 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
• 2 cups of tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
• 4 cups of chicken bone broth or veggie broth divided
• 2 tablespoon miso paste diluted in a ¼ cup of water or broth
• VEGAN VERSION: Add more beans, more sweet potatoes and toss in a few mushrooms if you are skipping the chicken to keep it vegan. Topping this delicious meal with coconut sour cream is another pantry saver when going to the market for traditional sour cream isn’t part of our quarantine protocol.
Coconut Sour Cream
• 1 can full-fat coconut milk, chilled overnight
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• ¼ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
• 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1. Toss the chicken with sea salt and black pepper.
2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat up 1 tablespoon of oil.
3. Brown the chicken on all sides, remove from the saucepan and set aside.
4. Add the remaining oil and the onion to the saucepan.
5. Sauté the onion until tender.
6. Add jalapeno, garlic, oregano, and cumin; stir over heat for two more minutes.
7. Return the chicken to the saucepan and add the beans, sweet potatoes, tomato sauce/crushed tomatoes, and the broth.
8. Simmer for 25 minutes uncovered.
9. Add more water or broth for more soup like consistency.
10. Add the diluted miso and stir.
11. Serve with optional toppings (avocado slices, cherry tomatoes, coconut sour cream, regular sour cream, chopped fresh cilantro).
Coconut Sour Cream
1. Open the can of coconut milk with the can upside down; drain off the liquid, which is coconut water, and save for other uses.
2. Scrape the thick coconut cream directly into a blender or food processor.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy.
4. Transfer to a dish with a cover and store in the fridge.